The Minister Assisting the Prime Minister for the Status of Women, Senator Kay Patterson, officially opened the Women's Suffrage Commemorative Fountain in the newly renovated Old Parliament House Rose Gardens.
The commemorative fountain is located at the entrance to the House of Representatives garden within a walkway linking Old Parliament House to Constitution Place.
The fountain comprises a rectangular water feature approximately 7m long x 2.5 m wide x 0.4m high. The base of the water feature lined with mosaic inspired by wisteria in the suffragette shades of green, white and purple. Visual interest is provided by water jets within the fountain.
The border of the water feature is etched with a passage from the Commonwealth Franchise Act in 1902 and commemoration of the 1903 election in which women voted and stood for Parliament for the first time.
A timeline extends from the water feature along a wisteria covered pergola with concrete paving towards Constitution Place. Along the timeline names and achievements of significant women in Australian political life are recorded.