The National Capital Exhibition tells the story of Canberra, Australia's national capital. Through interactive displays, the Exhibition illustrates Canberra's vital role as a symbol of Federation. It features the people, events, history and design which contributed to the development of this unique, modern, fully planned city.
- Uncover why Canberra was selected to be Australia's national capital and the other towns which were considered.
- Explore Walter Burley Griffin’s prize winning design for Canberra.
- Learn about the Indigenous people of the Canberra area and their link with the Bogong moth.
- Experience the Canberra Sound and Light Show with its scale model of central Canberra.
- Hear the story of Canberra presented in seven different languages.
- Enjoy one of the best lakeside views of the Captain Cook Memorial Jet and the Parliamentary Triangle.
- Realise our national capital belongs to all Australians!
A Capital Investigation is a complete unit of work on cities, capital cities and our National Capital in particular. It will assist Primary school students prepare for an excursion to Canberra or reinforce what they have experienced after the excursion is complete.
Admission is free
Barrine Drive off Commonwealth Avenue, Commonwealth Park.
9am to 5pm Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm Saturday and Sunday. Closed public holidays except Australia Day and Canberra Day.
Non-English Speaking Facilities
The Canberra Sound and Light Show is available in the following six non-English languages:
Exhibition self guides are also available in the above languages as well as:
A sheltered picnic facility with a children's playground is available to the left of the entrance of the National Capital Exhibition.
Easily accessible parking facilities are available for coaches within walking distance of the National Capital Exhibition. Extensive pay car parking is available. Short-stay pay parking is available for up to four hours close to the Exhibition entrance. All day multi-stay pay parking available off Regatta Place.
For further information contact the National Capital Exhibition on:
- Telephone: 02 6272 2902
- Fax: 02 6247 1875
- Email: email@example.com