|Lindsay Pryor National Arboretum|
Located on the shores of Lake Burley Griffin, this 30 hectare site was originally planted by Professor Pryor from 1954 to 1957. The impetus for the planting was a request from the then Governor General, Sir William Slim, for an improved northerly view from Government House.
The Arboretum had been damaged in bushfires and much of it was in poor condition with the effects of extended drought clearly evident.
As a joint Commonwealth and ACT Government initiative, the site was gazetted in June 2001 as the Lindsay Pryor National Arboretum. It commemorates the contribution to the nation of the late Emeritus Professor Lindsay Pryor AO (1915 – 1998), an eminent Australian forest scientist, botanist and landscape architect.
The NCA has commenced works to renew and upgrade the Arboretum to a place for recreation, scientific research and education in recognition of the great importance of trees and forests to Australia.
A Reference Group is guiding the design and environmental integrity of the Arboretum's renewal and a masterplan was completed in May 2011. From the two concept plans presented for the management and development of the Arboretum, a final plan was developed following public consultation. The masterplan reflects that cultural value of the site and builds on the original intentions of Pryor and subsequent plantings by the late Dr Robert Boden.
A complete survey of the existing trees, substantial clearing of weeds and the reinstatement of perimeter fencing have been completed along with redevelopment of the old toilet block into a picnic shelter. A new entrance road (funded by the ACT Government) was completed in February 2012.
Implementation of the masterplan commenced in the second half of 2011, with additional trees planted along the new entrance road, parallel to Lady Denman Drive and along the lake foreshore. Suitable designs are being developed for toilets and signs, which will be progressed in the coming years.
|Last Updated on Monday, 02 September 2013 16:20|