Old Parliament House Gardens

The Old Parliament House Gardens are located in the heart of the Parliamentary Zone on either side of Old Parliament House. The Gardens have been restored to their former glory, enhanced with the introduction of features such as seating pavilions, pergolas, rose arbours, pathways, gateways and the refurbishment of the tennis courts and bowling green.

When Members and Senators arrived in Canberra for the opening of Provisional (Old) Parliament House in 1927 they were met with bare ground and a hedge, just half a metre high, planted by the Superintendent of Parkes and Gardens, Charles Weston. Sporting facilities - a bowling green, tennis courts and a cricket pitch - were quickly established in the gardens for the exclusive use of parliamentarians.

The idea of a garden languished for several years until Robert Broinowski, Secretary of the Joint House Department, took up the cause. With the assistance of the National Rose Society of New South Wales, Broinowski initiated the design and planting of an open garden based on patterned rose and annuals display beds, set in lawns and with a minimum of trees. Many of the roses were donated by rose societies, companies and individuals, and Parliament House staff.

The Old Parliament House Gardens are comprised of two separate gardens, within each are located two rose gardens:

The Old Parliament House Gardens are open to the public year round:

  • Summer hours (during daylight savings): 7am to 8pm
  • Winter hours: 7am to 5pm

Old Parliament House Gardens Guided Walking Tours

Enjoy the history, significance and stunning beauty of the Old Parliament House Gardens on a guided walking tour.

Guided walking tours are subject to availability. Bookings are essential.

Bookings can be made via the online booking system or by Phone: (02) 6272 2902 Fax: (02) 6247 1875 E-mail: nce@natcap.gov.au

The Gardens are available for public and corporate functions by contacting the National Capital Authority on 02 6272 2901 or email events@natcap.gov.au.

For more information can be found under Venues on National Land.

Click here to download the Old Parliament House Gardens Rose Guide [PDF - 3 Mb]

The tennis courts in the House of Representatives and Senate Gardens are available for public hire. Contact Tennis Canberra on play@tenniscanberra.com.au.


History of the Gardens

When the Provisional (now Old) Parliament House was opened in 1927, the surrounding limestone plains were windswept and pastoral. The bush landscape stood in stark contrast to the established lush gardens of the temporary Parliament in Melbourne.

From 1931 to 1938, the Secretary of the Joint House Department, Robert Broinowski, set about establishing gardens to the east and west of Old Parliament House. Hedges surrounding the gardens were soon planted to mitigate the wind. Tennis courts, a cricket pitch and bowling green were established along with four rose gardens. These were for the exclusive use of members and staff.

In 1988, when 'new' Parliament House opened on Capital Hill, occupation of the Old Parliament House ceased for a time. Hidden away behind a rambling hedge and secluded gates, the Gardens became neglected. The well-used tennis courts were locked and the grand floral displays reduced in size.

The reconstruction program for the Old Parliament House Gardens commenced in 2000 with the replanting of the hedges. The Gardens have had their original character and design intent replicated in appreciation of their historic and cultural significance to the nation, along with the addition of paths and public facilities. The four rose gardens have been replanted with new roses and reconstructed to their original designs.


Senate Gardens

Rose Gardens

Gateways

  • Broinowski Gate
  • King George Terrace Entry
  • Magna Carta Gate
  • Queen Victoria Terrace Entry
  • Senators Gate

Architectural Features

  • Senate Pergola Walk
  • Senate Kiosk

Sporting Features

  • Cricket Pitch
  • 2 Tennis Courts
  • Tennis Pavilion

Roses in this Garden

  • Amy Johnson
  • Black Boy
  • Cicely Lascelles
  • Cicely O'Rorke
  • Countess of Stradbroke
  • Day Dream
  • Gladsome
  • Glenara
  • Golden Vision
  • Harbinger
  • Jessie Clark
  • Kitty Kininmonth
  • Lorraine Lee
  • Milkmaid
  • Mrs. Fred Danks
  • Mrs. Hugh Dettmann
  • Mrs. Richard Turnbull
  • Queen of Hearts

The Robert Broinowski Garden

History

Robert Broinowski was one of a handful of parliamentary officers who, in May 1927, travelled from Melbourne to Australia 's capital city of Canberra to staff the Provisional (now Old) Parliament House. He was committed to the vision of a grand city of legislation, learning and culture, but he was also very conscious that the dry dust bowl in the Federal Capital Territory was hardly a promising start.

It was Broinowski's challenge to surround the Provisional Parliament House with gardens so that the parliamentarians would not miss the Treasury gardens near their former temporary quarters, the Victorian parliamentary buildings in Melbourne .

As Secretary of the Joint House Department and Usher of the Black Rod, Broinowski sought and obtained the permission of the President of the Senate, Sir Walter Kingsmill, to start a campaign in 1931 for Australians to buy roses for the parliamentary gardens. This was at a cost of one shilling and four pence. The scheme was an immediate success. Bulbs also arrived from Holland and Great Britain , and trees from Canada . Broinowski completed the overall layout of the parliamentary gardens between 1931 and 1938.

Roses and Design

The Broinowski Rose Garden has undergone many changes since it was first conceived by Robert Broinowski in the early 1930s.

The Garden exhibits shrub roses including those roses bred by the English rose breeder, David Austin. The English shrub rose, a cross between Old Roses and either modern Hybrid Teas or Floribundas, is a comparatively new rose which first gained prominence in the 1970s. This rose combines the form and fragrance of older roses with the colour and repeat flowering of the new.

The first of this type, 'Constance Spry', was bred by Austin in 1961 by cross-breeding 'Belle Isis', a light pink, old garden Gallica rose, with 'Dainty Maid', a pale silvery pink and carmine Floribunda rose.

Roses in this Garden

  • Robert Broinowski Rose Garden in the Senate Garden
    • Altissimo ®
    • Ambridge Rose
    • Anne Boleyn
    • Benjamin Britten
    • Brother Cadfael ™
    • Charles Darwin
    • Charlotte
    • Christopher Marlowe
    • Comtes de Champagne
    • Constance Spry ®
    • Crocus Rose
    • Crown Princess Margareta
    • Dapple Dawn
    • Deane Ross
    • Eglantyne
    • Fair Bianca ®
    • Falstaff
    • Florence Delattre
    • Golden Celebration
    • Grace
    • Graham Thomas ®
    • Gruss an Aachen
    • Heritage ®
    • Iceberg, Climbing
    • Jayne Austin
    • John Clare
    • Jude the Obscure
    • Kathryn Morley
    • L. D. Braithwaite
    • Lady Hillingdon, Climbing
    • Léonardo de Vinci
    • Lions Rose
    • Martine Guillot
    • Mary Magdalene
    • Mary Rose ®
    • Mawson
    • Miss Alice
    • Mme. Paule Massad
    • Molineux
    • Noble Antony
    • Parkdirektor Riggers ®
    • Pat Austin ™
    • Paul Bocuse
    • Pegasus
    • Pierre de Ronsard ®
    • Redouté
    • Scepter'd Isle
    • Sharifa Asma
    • Sir Edward Elgar
    • Sonia Rykiel
    • Sophy's Rose
    • St. Cecilia
    • St. Swithun ™
    • Sweet Juliet
    • Teasing Georgia
    • Tess of the d'Urbervilles
    • The Pilgrim ™
    • William Christie
    • William Shakespeare 2000
    • Winchester Cathedral

The Rex Hazlewood Rose Garden

History

This rose garden is the largest of the Old Parliament House Rose Gardens and the first to be planted in 1931. The rose garden was designed by Rex Hazlewood as the result of a meeting between Robert Broinowski (Secretary of the Joint House Department and Usher of the Black Rod) and representatives of the National Rose Society of New South Wales.

Hazlewood was a man of wide-ranging interests. A self-taught professional photographer, he served in Europe during World War I. While on leave in England , he spent time studying the English landscape. In the 1920s, he became interested in landscape design and eventually gave up photography to work for his brothers at Hazlewood Brothers Rose and Tree Specialists in Epping, Sydney.

Short of funds, Broinowski devised a scheme for Australians to contribute roses for the parliamentary gardens. Donations were received from staff of the House of Representatives, Senate, Parliamentary Library and Joint House Department, together with parliamentary press reporters. Signs were erected to recognise the many organisations and individuals who had donated roses. It is thought that the English cricket team, visiting Canberra in 1933, also contributed roses.

Roses and Design

The Rex Hazlewood Rose Garden has been reconstructed to its original 1931 layout and portrays the international history of rose cultivation. There are more than 40,000 roses registered internationally. This rose garden is a representative display of the extensive hybridisation which has taken place globally over centuries.

The western half of the Rex Hazlewood Rose Garden includes early European rose varieties and hybrids of rose species native to southern Europe and the eastern Mediterranean . These include the Gallica, Damask and Alba roses grown since ancient times, the sixteenth century Centifolia roses and the later Moss and Portland roses.

The early Asiatic roses are located in the eastern half of the Garden and include the China roses bred in China before their arrival in Europe during the eighteenth century. Those roses derived from rose species native to China represented in the collection include the Tea, Noisette, Bourbon and Rugosa roses (from northern Japan and Siberia ), Hybrid musk and Polyantha roses.

ast meets West at the central beds of the Garden, with the culmination of cross-breeding resulting in the Hybrid Tea and Floribunda roses. Those roses grown by internationally renowned Australian rose breeder, Alister Clark, are planted at the centre of the Garden. Clark 's roses were bred for Australian conditions.

Roses in this Garden

  • Alister Clark Rose Garden in the Rex Hazlewood Rose Garden
    • Australia Felix
    • Borderer
    • Cicely Lascelles
    • Countess of Stradbroke
    • Day Dream
    • Fairlie Rede
    • Gwen Nash
    • Jessie Clark
    • Lady Huntingfield
    • Lady Mann
    • Lorraine Lee
    • Madge Taylor
    • Marjory Palmer
    • Mary Guthrie
    • Mrs. Albert Nash
    • Mrs. Alston's Rose
    • Mrs. Fred Danks
    • Queen of Hearts
    • Restless
    • Ringlet
    • Scorcher
    • Squatter's Dream
    • Suitor
    • Sunlit
    • Sunny South
    • Tonner's Fanc
  • Rex Hazlewood Rose Garden in the Senate Garden
    • Aglaia
    • Alba Maxima
    • Alba Semi-plena
    • Alfred de Dalmas
    • Amélia
    • Anne-Marie de Montravel
    • Archiduc Joseph
    • Augustine Guinoiseau
    • Autumn Delight
    • Autumnalis
    • Awakening
    • Baby Alberic
    • Ballerina
    • Baltimore Belle
    • Baronne Henriette de Snoy
    • Belle Amour
    • Belle Poitevine
    • Blanc Double de Coubert
    • Blanc Pur
    • Bloomfield Abundance
    • Blush Noisette
    • Bon Silène
    • Botzaris
    • Boule de Neige
    • Bourbon Queen
    • Buff Beauty
    • Bullata
    • Camellia Rose
    • Canary Bird
    • Cantabrigiensis
    • Cardinal de Richelieu
    • Catherine Mermet
    • Céleste
    • Céline Forestier
    • Celsiana
    • Champneys' Pink Cluster
    • Chapeau de Napoléon
    • Charles de Mills
    • Chloris
    • Claire Jacquier
    • Cloth of Gold
    • Comte de Chambord
    • Comtesse du Cayla
    • Cornelia
    • Cramoisi Supérieur
    • Crépuscule
    • Crested Jewel
    • Crimson Glory
    • Dainty Bess
    • Dame Edith Helen
    • Debutante
    • Dr Grill
    • Duchess of Portland
    • Duchesse d' Angoulême
    • Duchesse de Montebello
    • Elizabeth Arden
    • Else Poulsen
    • Empress Joséphine
    • Erfurt
    • Étoile de Hollande
    • Étoile de Hollande, Climbing
    • Étoile de Lyon
    • Excellenz von Schubert
    • F. J. Grootendorst
    • Fantin-Latour
    • Felicia
    • Félicité Parmentier
    • Fellemberg
    • Fimbriata
    • Francesca
    • Francis Dubreuil
    • Francis E. Lester
    • Frau Karl Druschki
    • Freiherr von Marschall
    • Fritz Nobis
    • Fru Dagmar Hartopp
    • Frühlingsgold ®
    • Général Galliéni
    • Général Kléber
    • Général Schablikine
    • Geranium
    • Gipsy Boy
    • Gloire de Guilan
    • Gloire des Mousseuses
    • Gloire Lyonnaise
    • Gloria Mundi
    • Golden Dawn
    • Grace Darling
    • Great Maiden's Blush
    • Gruss an Aachen
    • Guinée
    • Hansa
    • Hébé's Lip
    • Hermosa
    • Homère
    • Honorine de Brabant
    • Hugo Roller
    • Hume's Blush Tea-scented China
    • Irène Watts
    • Isabella Sprunt
    • Ispahan
    • Jacques Cartier
    • James Veitch
    • Jean Ducher
    • John Hopper
    • Juno
    • Kazanlik
    • Königin von Dänemark
    • L' Ouche
    • La France
    • La Noblesse
    • La Reine Victoria
    • La Ville de Bruxelles
    • Lady Hillingdon
    • Lady Penzance
    • Lady Roberts
    • Le Vésuve
    • Léda
    • Léonie Lamesch
    • Little White Pet
    • Lord Penzance
    • Louise Odier
    • Marchioness of Salisbury
    • Marie Louise
    • Marie Pavié
    • Marie-Jeanne
    • Mary Queen of Scots
    • Miss Edith Cavell
    • Mme de la Rôche-Lambert
    • Mme. Alfred Carrière
    • Mme. Berkeley
    • Mme. Ernst Calvat
    • Mme. Grégoire Staechelin
    • Mme. Hardy
    • Mme. Isaac Pereire
    • Mme. Lauriol de Barny
    • Mme. Legras de St. Germain
    • Mme. Louis Lévêque
    • Mme. Pierre Oger
    • Mme. Plantier
    • Mme. Zöetmans
    • Moonlight
    • Morletti
    • Mousseux du Japon
    • Mrs. B.R. Cant
    • Mrs. Foley Hobbs
    • Mrs. Herbert Stevens, Climbing
    • Mrs. John Laing
    • Mrs. Oakley Fisher
    • Mrs. Sam McGredy
    • Mutabilis
    • Narrow Water
    • Nathalie Nypels
    • Nevada
    • New Dawn
    • Niphetos
    • Nuits de Young
    • Old Blush
    • Omar Khayyám
    • Ophelia
    • Papa Hémeray
    • Parks' Yellow Tea-scented China
    • Paul Neyron
    • Pax
    • Penelope
    • Pergolèse
    • Perle d'Or
    • Petite de Hollande
    • Petite Lisette
    • Pinkie
    • Pompon Blanc Parfait
    • Prolifera de Redouté
    • Prosperity
    • Quatre Saisons
    • R. centifolia
    • R. centifolia alba
    • R. centifolia muscosa
    • R. centifolia parvifolia
    • R. centifolia variegata
    • R. eglanteria
    • R. farreri persetosa
    • R. foetida bicolor
    • R. gallica complicata
    • R. gallica officinalis
    • R. gallica versicolour
    • R. glauca
    • R. moschata
    • R. multiflora platyphylla
    • R. pomifera duplex
    • R. primula
    • R. rugosa alba
    • R. spinoisissima altaica
    • R. virginiana
    • R. wichuraiana
    • R. x dupontii
    • Reine des Centfeuiles
    • Rembrandt
    • Rêve d' Or
    • Robert le Diable
    • Rose de Meaux
    • Rose de Rescht
    • Rose du Roi
    • Rose du Roi à Fleurs Pourpres
    • Rose Edouard
    • Roseraie de l' Haÿ
    • Safrano
    • Sarah van Fleet
    • Schneezwerg
    • Shot Silk, Climbing
    • Single Cherry
    • Slater's Crimson China
    • Snowflake
    • Soleil D'Or
    • Sophie's Perpetual
    • Soupert et Notting
    • Souvenir de la Malmaison
    • Spectabilis
    • Spong
    • Stanwell Perpetual
    • Talisman
    • The Bishop
    • The Bride
    • The Fairy
    • Thisbe
    • Tour de Malakoff
    • Trier ®
    • Tuscany
    • Tuscany Superb
    • Village Maid
    • White Cécile Brünner
    • White Ensign
    • White Maman Cochet
    • William III
    • William Lobb
    • Zéphirine Drouhin

House of Representatives Gardens

Rose Gardens

Gateways

  • King George Terrace Entries
  • Members Gate
  • Queen Victoria Terrace Entry
  • Constitution Gate

Architectural Features

  • Centenary of Women's Suffrage Fountain
  • Centenary of Women's Suffrage Timeline
  • House of Representatives Kiosk

Sporting Features

  • Bowling Green & Croquet Lawn
  • Bowling Green Club House
  • 3 Tennis Courts
  • Tennis Pavilion

Roses in this Garden

Bowling Green Club House

At the commencement of the reconstruction project for the Old Parliament House Gardens, a number of roses of cultural and social significance were identified and removed for reuse in the completed gardens. The roses in this bed comprise a selection of these significant roses, conserved and transplanted in order to retain important elements of the heritage fabric of the gardens. Other heritage fabric, such as rose signs and the bowling green roller, are stored on site.

The rose varieties have not been identified.

  • House of Representatives Tennis Courts
    • Black Boy
    • Cherub
    • Cicely Lascelles
    • Cicely O'Rorke
    • Countess of Stradbroke
    • Day Dream
    • Doris Downes
    • Dublin Bay ®
    • Gladsome
    • Golden Vision
    • Jessie Clark
    • Lorraine Lee
    • Milkmaid
    • Mrs. Fred Danks
    • Mrs. Richard Turnbull
    • Nancy Hayward
    • Queen of Hearts
    • Scorcher
    • Tonner's Fancy
    • Traverser

The Macarthur Rose Garden

History

The Macarthur Rose Garden, planted in 1937, was the last rose garden to be constructed under the direction of Robert Broinowski (Secretary of the Joint House Department and Usher of the Black Rod).

Miss Rosa Sibella Macarthur-Onslow, great granddaughter of John and Elizabeth Macarthur, arranged to donate one hundred red 'Étoile de Hollande' roses to commemorate the major contribution by John Macarthur to the breeding of merino sheep at Parramatta (Elizabeth Farm) and Camden .

A formal grouping of trees in the Macarthur Rose Garden was undertaken in 1933, with pairs of four different species planted: Southern Nettle (Celtis australis), Desert Ash (Fraxinus oxycarpa), Silver Maple (Acer saccharinum) and Honey Locust (Gleditsia triacanthos). The Silver Maples, all surviving today, were a gift from the Canadian Government to the people of Australia .

In 1938, fifty 'Shot Silk' roses were donated by Miss Macarthur-Onslow. These were planted in the Ladies Rose Garden, in recognition of Elizabeth Macarthur and her pivotal role in the growth of the Australian wool industry.

Roses and Design

The Macarthur Rose Garden exhibits the Tea, China and Noisette roses, first hybridised during the early nineteenth century – about the same time that John and Elizabeth Macarthur established their garden at Elizabeth Farm, Parramatta .

Tea roses are hybrids of the Chinese rose species R. gigantea and R. chinensis. They are called 'Tea' roses because the flower fragrance resembles that of green tea. Of all rose types, this one is considered to have the most exquisite form and colouration.

China roses, bred from R. chinensis, were introduced from China into the West between 1760 and 1790. As with the Tea roses, industrious French rose breeders of the time quickly began hybridising.

Noisette roses originated when John Champney, of Charleston , South Carolina , crossed a pink China rose with the Musk rose R. moschata. He obtained a large growing shrub with clusters of lightly fragrant pink flowers, 'Champney's Pink Cluster'. A French grower, Phillippe Noisette, planted its seeds and grew 'Blush Noisette' – released in 1814.

A mass planting of red 'Étoile de Hollande' roses (the roses originally donated by the Macarthur-Onslow family) has been reinstated at the centre of the Macarthur Rose Garden.

Roses in this Garden

  • Macarthur Rose Garden in the House of RepresentativesGarden
    • Aimée Vibert
    • Alister Stella Gray
    • Anna Olivier
    • Archiduc Joseph
    • Baronne Henriette de Snoy
    • Bon Silène
    • Catherine Mermet
    • Cécile Brünner
    • Champneys' Pink Cluster
    • Claire Jacquier
    • Comtesse du Cayla
    • Desprez à Fleur Jaunes
    • Devoniensis
    • Devoniensis, Climbing
    • Dr Grill
    • Duchesse de Brabant
    • Étoile de Hollande
    • Francis Dubreuil
    • Freiherr von Marschall
    • Général Galliéni
    • Général Schablikine
    • Gloire de Dijon
    • Gruss an Aachen
    • Hermosa
    • Homère
    • Hugo Roller
    • Hume's Blush Tea-scented China
    • Irène Watts
    • Jean Ducher
    • Lady Hillingdon
    • Lady Hillingdon, Climbing
    • Lady Roberts
    • Lamarque
    • Little White Pet
    • Lorraine Lee, Climbing
    • Louis XIV
    • Maman Cochet
    • Maréchal Niel
    • Marie Pavié
    • Marie van Houtte
    • Mme. Alfred Carrière
    • Mme. Charles
    • Mme. Grégoire Staechelin
    • Mme. Lombard
    • Mrs. B.R. Cant
    • Mrs. Dudley Cross
    • Mrs. Foley Hobbs
    • Mrs. Herbert Stevens, Climbing
    • Mutabilis
    • Nathalie Nypels
    • Niphetos
    • Noëlla Nabonnand
    • Old Blush
    • Papa Hémeray
    • Parks' Yellow Tea-scented China
    • Perle d'Or
    • Phyllis Bide
    • R. viridiflora
    • Rêve d' Or
    • Rosette Delizy
    • Safrano
    • Slater's Crimson China
    • Snowflake
    • Solfaterre
    • Sombreuil
    • Souvenir de Mme Léonie Viennot
    • Souvenir d'un Ami
    • White Maman Cochet

The Ladies Rose Garden

History

In 1933, Robert Broinowski (Secretary of the Joint House Department and Usher of the Black Rod) asked Dame Mary Hughes, Dame Enid Lyons and other wives of parliamentarians to support the Ladies Rose Garden. They agreed, and soon commenced gathering donations of one shilling and four pence per rose. Many women contributed roses for the Garden, in particular Hybrid Tea and Floribunda roses, which were popular as cut flowers.

When Parliament was in session, thousands of roses and other flowers were cut from the parliamentary gardens and used in Parliament House for floral displays. Throughout the 1930s and after World War II, Members and Senators would also take boxes of flowers cut from the gardens back to their homes, once Parliament had adjourned.

Roses and Design

In the spirit of the 1930s plantings, the Ladies Rose Garden exhibits Hybrid Tea roses and their smaller cousins, the Floribundas.

The roses are arranged by colour in quadrants of white, yellow, red and pink shades. To provide a unifying effect, companion planting of perennial plants in blue shades has been placed amongst the roses.

Hybrid Tea roses emerged in the mid-nineteenth century as crosses between Tea roses, derived from early Chinese breeding, and Hybrid Perpetual roses, derived from the early cross-breeding of Portland, China, Bourbon and Gallica roses. Hybrid Tea roses have large flowers and, typically, pointed buds with large leaves and strong stems.

Originally called 'Poulsen Roses' after the breeder, Floribunda roses were derived by crossing Polyantha with Hybrid Tea roses in 1924. These roses are repeat blooming with flowers grouped in clusters, and they provide a mass of colour over a long season.

Today, the Hybrid Tea and Floribunda roses are the most commonly grown roses.

Roses in this garden

  • Ladies Rose Garden in the House of Representatives Garden
    • 65 Roses
    • Adélaide d' Orléans
    • Albéric Barbier
    • Amber Queen ®
    • Angel Face
    • Apricot Nectar
    • Australian Centenary of Federation
    • Ballerina
    • Bella Rosa ®
    • Bloomfield Courage
    • Blossomtime
    • Blue Moon ®
    • Blueberry Hill ™
    • Bonica 82
    • Brass Band ™
    • Bridal Pink ™
    • Buff Beauty
    • Busy Bee
    • Camp David
    • Carefree Wonder ™
    • Cathedral City
    • Catherine McAuley
    • China Doll
    • Chrysler Imperial
    • City of Adelaide
    • Class Act
    • Cocktail ®
    • Coral Meidiland
    • Crépuscule
    • Daily Mail Rose
    • Dame Elizabeth Murdoch
    • Deane Ross
    • Dearest
    • Devon ®
    • Diamant ®
    • Diamond Jubilee
    • Double Delight™
    • Duet
    • Edelweiss
    • English Miss
    • Escapade ®
    • Europeana ®
    • Fabulous
    • Fragrant Cloud
    • Fragrant Plum
    • Fred Hollow's Vision
    • French Lace
    • Friesia
    • Fruité
    • Gardener's Pleasure
    • Glamis Castle
    • Gold Bunny
    • Gold Medal ®
    • Golden Celebration
    • Golden Girls
    • Golden Touch
    • Golden Years ®
    • Gruss an Aachen
    • Heideschnee
    • Heidesommer ®
    • Honey Bouquet ™
    • Honor ™
    • Hot Chocolate
    • Howard Florey
    • Iceberg
    • Iceberg, Climbing
    • Iced Ginger
    • It's a Winner
    • Jardins de Bagatelle ®
    • Joyfullness
    • Julia's Rose ®
    • Julischka ®
    • Just Joey
    • Kardinal ™
    • Karen Blixen
    • Kentucky Derby
    • Knock Out ™
    • La Sévillana ®
    • Lamarque
    • Lavender Pinocchio
    • Love Potion™
    • Madam President
    • Magic Fire ®
    • Magic Sunset
    • Mainaufeuer
    • Manou Meilland ®
    • Many Happy Returns
    • Margaret Merril ®
    • Marie Pavié
    • Marie-Louise Marjan
    • Marlena
    • Martine Guillot
    • Mary MacKillop
    • Matthias Meilland ®
    • Mawson
    • Memoire ®
    • Mister Lincoln ®
    • Moonsprite
    • Mother's Love
    • Nana Mouskouri
    • New Dawn
    • New Era
    • Oklahoma
    • Ophelia
    • Papa Meilland ®
    • Paradise ™
    • Pascali ®
    • Peace
    • Penny Lane
    • Perfume Perfection
    • Pillow Fight ™
    • Pincushion
    • Pink Parfait
    • Pinkie
    • Playboy ®
    • Princess of Wales
    • Pristine ®
    • Queen Elizabeth ®
    • Queen Mother
    • Red Cavalier
    • Red Cross
    • Red Meidiland.™
    • Red Pixie
    • Red Simplicity
    • Renae
    • Rosario ®
    • Rosenprofessor Sieber
    • Royal Bassino
    • Royal Highness
    • Salvation
    • Satchmo ®
    • Scarlet Meidiland ™
    • Scarlet Sunblaze ™
    • Scentimental ™
    • Sea Foam ®
    • Seduction
    • Seduction, Climbing
    • Sexy Rexy ®
    • Sheer Bliss
    • Shot Silk, Climbing
    • Simplicity ™
    • Simply Magic
    • Sir Donald Bradman
    • Snowdon
    • Sombreuil
    • Spirit of Peace
    • St. Patrick ™
    • Starstruck
    • Strawberry Crush
    • Summer Evening
    • Sunny Rose
    • Sussex
    • Sutter's Gold
    • Swany ®
    • Taboo ™
    • Tequila Sunrise
    • The Childrens Rose
    • The Fairy
    • Tournament of Roses
    • Tradition 95 ®
    • Twilight Glow
    • Typhoon
    • Valerie Swane
    • Victoria Gold
    • Victoriana
    • White Ensign
    • White Meidiland ™
    • White Simplicity ®
    • White Spray
    • Winchester Cathedral

The Centenary of Women's Suffrage Commemorative Fountain

The Centenary of Women's Suffrage Commemorative Fountain is located at the Members' Gate of the House of Representatives Garden. The site is within a walkway that links Old Parliament House to Constitution Place .

The detailed design of the new fountain was developed by Cate Riley and Andrew Smith of the National Capital Authority in consultation with Senator Kay Patterson, Minister Assisting the Prime Minister on Women's Issues. It comprises a rectangular water feature approximately 7m long x 2.5m wide x 0.4m high. The floor and walls of the water feature are lined with tens of thousands of glass mosaic tiles individually placed by mosaic artist Mary Stuart.

Further visual interest is provided by 6 water jets both sides and a water weir on the eastern end of the fountain.

The border of the water feature records the passage of the Franchise Act (Cth) in 1902 and the commemoration of the 1903 election (in which women voted and stood for Parliament for the first time).

A timeline extends from the water feature within the pavement under a wisteria covered pergola towards Constitution Place . Along the timeline are recorded the milestones and significant achievements of women in Federal Parliament. The timeline is created using the same tiles as used in the fountain.

Click here to visit the Suffrage Commemorative Fountain Project page.


Rose Patronage

In November 2002, Mrs Tamie Fraser AO, patron of the Old Parliament House Gardens reconstruction project launched a campaign seeking public support through rose patronage. Around 2,400 people from around Australia became rose patrons, providing a contribution towards the reconstruction.

The reconstructed Old Parliament House Gardens were opened to the public on 4 December 2004. The National Capital Authority (NCA) manages the Gardens on behalf of the Australian Government.

In December 2014, the ten year rose patronage program will come to an end. The beautiful roses will remain in place, along with their names, to assist those with a particular interest find specific varieties.

Over the years, the Gardens have received thousands of visitors. Patrons often visit to check their sponsored rose which may celebrate a particular person or memorable occasion. It is hoped this special connection with the Gardens will continue into the future.

To acknowledge the contribution of patrons and to mark the conclusion of the program, the NCA commissioned a book written by Dr John Gray OAM, titled 'Roses, Tennis & Democracy'. The NCA contacted patrons in the lead up to the conclusion of the program to offer a copy of the book at the end of December 2014. An electronic copy of 'Roses, Tennis & Democracy' is available below.

Should you have any queries about the patronage program, please contact the NCA on 02 6271 2888 or via email to natcap@natcap.gov.au.